fredag 19. mai 2017

Is 'upon' an important word? - a time for everything *

NORSK
When I was young, I had lots of questions about the Holy Spirit. I read books and spoke with experienced disciples and discovered that many focused on the importance of the Spirit coming upon us. There is substantial Biblical support for such thoughts, and we find it in a verse I have already quoted a couple of times in this series of reflections:
And look, I am sending the promise of My Father upon you.
Luke 24:49a
When I surrendered to Jesus and invited him into my life at the age of 14, the Holy Spirit moved into my spirit. I believe that all who have received Jesus have also received the Holy Spirit. With the Spirit in us, we are new creatures and as such we are able to recognize the Holy Spirit when he comes upon us.

I have definitely had many experiences of the Holy Spirit coming 'upon' me both in solitude and in fellowship with many others. This can be very different in expressions and intensity, but even when the expression is unknown, the Holy Spirit can be recognized by the fruit – the presence of divine love. If what the Father has promised comes from on high, it may not be so strange that it will come ‘upon’ us. Paul urged us to search for it:

“If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above”
Col 3:1a
The disciples also had to seek for that which was promised and they waited for it for ten days. For Paul, being raised with Christ is synonym with being a new creature. It shows that seeking for that which is promised to come ‘over’ me is an invitation that is still valid even though I live in a good relationship with the Lord.

‘Manna’ for today

I want the Holy Spirit to come over me!
------------------------------------------
'A time for everything' is connected with the Bible's teaching about a 'season for every activity' Eccl 3 This series is about the teaching in the ime between Easter and Pentecost

Ingen kommentarer: